Lord of the Sabbath
Download Full Text
God blessed the Seventh-day in a very special way! God didn’t make the first day special, or any other day. The special blessing is for the seventh day and no other. God refers to this blessing of the Sabbath in the fourth commandment, forever linking the Creation Sabbath with the weekly Sabbath. Sabbath is one of God’s first gifts to man – given immediately after Adam and Eve were created.
“Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy,” (Exodus 20:8) is God’s reminder that by keeping the Sabbath man
- recognizes God as the Creator of the universe and the Sabbath
- obeys God’s commandment to worship on this special day
- chooses to become part-taker of God’s holiness
- affirms the Creator God as His Lord who recreates him.
- accepts the Lord as His Creator and Redeemer
Watch this week’s Scriptural Pursuit to learn more about the Lord of the Sabbath.
Department of Religion & Biblical Languages
Berrien Springs, Michigan
Religion and Biblical Languages
Russell, Glenn; Borda, Guilherme; and Munoz-Larrondo, Ruben, "Lord of the Sabbath" (2012). Scriptural Pursuit. 59.