The Andrews Research Conference is organized to provide Adventist graduate students, post-docs and early career faculty (5 years post graduate school) the opportunity to share their research and creative scholarship with one another and with Andrews University. Advanced undergraduate students and recent graduates are also invited. We particularly encourage attendance of Adventist participants from non-Adventist universities.
For ARC 2019, scholars in the arts and humanities are invited to attend and present. This includes anthropology, art, communication, education, film, history, languages, literature, music, philosophy, religion, and related disciplines.
Thank you for helping us spread the word about this conference for early career researchers and creative scholars. "Early career" includes those who are advanced undergraduates through those who are no more than five years beyond completing their terminal degree (MFA, PhD, etc.).
ABSTRACT BOOK: To view the schedule, presentation abstracts, and presenter bios, click here.
Wednesday, May 22
- 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Registration (Buller 238)
- 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Meet-and-Greet Supper (Buller 238)
- 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Plenary Presentation (Buller 250): Kevin Burton, "Enemies, Aliens, Socialists, Spies: State Surveillance and Adventism in America during World War I"
Thursday, May 23
- 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Presentations (Buller 250): Worship, Management, Economics, Theology & Education
- 1:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Presentations: History, Archaeology, Anthropology & Psychology
- 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Plenary Presentation: Eun-Young Julia Kim, "Biblical Authority and Linguistic Ploys in Religious Discourse on Women’s Ordination"
Friday, May 24
- 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Presentations (Buller 250): Worship, English & Literature
- 1:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Presentations: Communication & Film
- 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Vespers (Nethery 220): Charles Reid
Saturday, May 25
- 10:00 a.m. Sabbath School (Nethery 220): Kevin & Sarah Burton
- 11:30 a.m. Church (PMC or One Place)
- 3:00 p.m. Horn Museum
- 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Vespers (Nethery 220): Alayne Thorpe
Sunday, May 26
- 8:30 a.m. Breakfast for those who depart on Sunday (Buller 238)